Born on 23rd December, 1956 in the small village of Mbalelon in the Ngoumou Subdivision, Mefou and Akono Division in the Centre Region, this worthy son of Etenga, married and father of 06 children, made brilliant university studies; in law, political science and public administration.
These studies were crowned with various certificates, including:
- A Degree in Public Law at the University of Yaounde in 1981;
- A Masters Degree in Political Science at the University of Paris II in 1984;
- A PhD in Political Science at the University of Paris II in 1989;
- A Higher Specialized Diploma from the International Institute of Public Administration in Paris in 1992.
Basile Atangana Kouna entered the Public Service on 11 January 1986 and has been lecturer at the University of Yaoundé, Head of Department, Chief of Service; Research Officer; then Director of Administrative Affairs and Complaints at the Prime Minister’s Office; interim General Manager of SNEC; General Manager of CAMWATER from 2006 to 2011. Since December 9, 2011, “Don Basilio,” as some of his close collaborators and relatives call him, is Minister of Water Resources and Energy in the government of “Major Accomplishments”.
Apart from being a committed statesman, Dr. Basile Atangana Kouna is also a convicted politician within the ranks of the CPDM, the party close to power. Member of the CPDM Central Committee, he has assumed several functions and carried out many missions within the said political party. In this regard, it is important to note that from 2002 to 2007, he was municipal councilor and First Deputy Mayor of the Ngoumou rural council.
Else way, Dr. Basile Atangana is both president of the Association of Ngoumou elite (ASSEN) and Secretary General of the Association for the Development of Mefou and Akono (ADEMAK). He is also member of the Legal Committee of the Cameroon Football Federation.
The various activities and services rendered to the nation have been recognized and appreciated. Hence the following medal awards :
- National Knight of the Order of Valour;
- National Officer of the Order of Valour;
- Commander of the National Order of Valour;
- Labour Medal of Honour (Silver, Gold).